The following terms and conditions detail the relationship between you and the British Society for Haematology (“BSH”, “we”, “us”). They explain what you can expect from us, and what we expect from you as a Member of the Society.
If you would like further information on data protection and our commitment to your privacy, please see our Processing Notice.
If you have any queries or comments, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A member is an individual who has signed up to become a Member of BSH, and who is therefore entitled to receive access to “members only” information and services available on the BSH website (hereinafter a “Member”).
- The information and services available on the BSH website, including scientific information, originate from BSH, its members and/or its partners, sponsors and subcontractors.
What we expect from you
- Login credentials are strictly for personal use. They must be kept safely and not shared with or disclosed to any third party.
- You represent and warrant that all information supplied by you is true and correct. You also undertake to engage in professional online conduct towards BSH and other Members and Registered Users, i.e. by refraining from sending unsolicited messages (spam) to groups of other website users, and by respecting intellectual property rights owned by BSH and third parties.
- BSH requests you to supply and keep up-to-date the following minimum information:
- first and last name(s)
- date of birth
- home address
- contact e-mail address
- current job title
- organisation’s name and department
- organisation’s address
- current level/grade
It is your responsibility at all times to keep your personal information up to date. BSH shall not be responsible to verify or update any of the information.
- Other personal information may be requested to help identification or communication, such as your secretary’s or assistant’s e-mail address, your telephone number, your areas of expertise and your fields of interest.
Your privacy – our commitment to you.
- BSH will respect your privacy and will keep your personal information confidential. This privacy section explains how BSH collects and stores information about you as an individual member, and how BSH will protect your privacy. For more information on what information is collected and how it is processed, see our Processing Notice
- BSH complies with EU Directive 95/46/EC, the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation. BSH takes all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorised access to your personal information. Your data will only be used for the provision of services to members, and the improvement of those services. We may share information with other third parties where there is a statutory requirement or legal obligation to do so, to fulfill our contractual obligation to you, or to improve clinical practice or medical training. Excepting these uses, BSH shall not in any way sell or otherwise hand over your personal information to third parties, whether or not for commercial use.
- The personal information collected via the BSH website may be specifically used to:
• Enable BSH to provide you with the products or services you request, e.g. educational services;
• Enable BSH to communicate with you about specific matters regarding your website user registration or Membership registration, your registration for a meeting or an event, your application for a grant, or any other service;
• Enable BSH to send you information about activities in which you have indicated interest.
- You may at any time adapt your personal information held by BSH. You have the statutory right to access, amend, and oppose the use of your personal information. You can update your information at any point by filling out the online request form your MyBSH page, or by contacting us at email@example.com
- BSH may supply some of your information to its subcontractors to perform specific services, as well as to BSH partners who deliver, in close collaboration with BSH, the actual fulfilment of the services offered through the BSH website. These subcontractors and partners are bound by strict confidentiality rules and only perform certain tasks on behalf and under responsibility of BSH.
- BSH will not send you unsolicited messages (via e-mail or any other means such as social media), and will not contact you on behalf of third parties without your consent. Your personal information will not be passed on to any other individual or organisation other than third party subcontractors and partners mentioned in clause 14.
- BSH uses e-mail as its primary form of communication. Administrative communications, which specifically relate to the maintenance of your membership, cannot be opted out of. You can inform us of your desire to receive non-administrative communication on signup, and these permissions can be updated at any time on your MyBSH page, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- BSH may perform statistical analysis of website traffic and response to product offers to improve its services. Statistical information arising from such analysis shall not be attributed to individual Members.
- BSH may perform statistical analysis of personal data entered by Members, e.g. year of qualification, academic status and professional status, personal development and knowledge levels, in order to develop and further improve specific tools offered, in particular educational services, to Members.
- BSH is the sole owner of the BSH website and as such is the sole owner of the data collected through the BSH website, though you retain the rights as an individual under this agreement.
Information provided through the BSH website; limitation of liability
- While the BSH website may contain certain scientific or medical information (written by Members or third parties), including information on medical treatments and medicine, the BSH website should not be considered a source of information for the treatment of individual patients. Any medical treatment remains the sole responsibility of the individual doctor or institution. Hyperlinks to third party websites are for information purposes only, and do not in any way indicate BSH’s endorsement, sponsorship or approval of such third party or the information provided by such third party.
- Services, directories and any other information are strictly for personal use only, and may not be used for commercial purposes or republished in any way or form. Information provided (through the BSH website or in any other form) by BSH and others, may be protected by intellectual property rights.
- BSH cannot be held liable for any damage arising from information provided by third parties on the BSH website, including (if any) incorrect or malicious information provided by Members. You agree to indemnify BSH against any claims issued by third parties against BSH based on the information that you submit to BSH or publish through the BSH website.
- By submitting content (including scientific or other publications) to the BSH website, you represent and warrant that you own or control the intellectual property of such content, and that you are allowed to make such content available via the BSH website.
- BSH reserves the right to terminate, with immediate effect, an individual Membership agreement, and/or to deny the use of some or all of its services, including the services offered through the BSH website.
- By completing the application form and by indicating that you apply for BSH Membership, you agree to become a member of BSH. BSH Membership runs from January until December and is also renewable per calendar year. Members joining the Society are required to pay the relevant annual fee for that calendar year regardless how many months remain in the year. The annual membership fee is communicated on the BSH website and is due in January, or at the date of joining for new Members. Any change in the membership fee as adopted by the BSH Board of Trustees will be communicated via the BSH website and email or post, dependent on your communications preferences.
- After submitting the application form to the BSH membership department your application will be reviewed. If your application is approved, a confirmation email will be sent to you, including the subscription dues for your membership. New members gain access to members’ only content and communications once confirmation of payment has been received.
- If you are on a free or discounted subscription, then we require confirmation of your eligibility before we can provide you with the reduced rate. When your confirmation expires, we will contact you to request updated confirmation to ensure continued access to the specified subscription.
- If you are on a reduced subscription and we do not receive updated confirmation, we will provide you with reasonable advance notification that your subscription will default to the full subscription, and will update your subscription cost and direct debit as appropriate.
- If you are on a free subscription and we do not receive updated confirmation, your membership benefits will be suspended until such time as your eligibility is re-confirmed or until three months have elapsed. After three months of suspension, your membership will be terminated in line with the Society's Regulations.
Termination of your subscription
- Should you want to terminate your membership for the upcoming calendar year, you may do so by sending an e-mail to email@example.com stating your full name, e-mail address and BSH Membership number, no later than January 3rd of the calendar year.
- If you live within the European Economic Area (the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway), you have the following cancellation rights:
You may cancel your membership within 7 working days of receiving notification from the British Society for Haematology of the acceptance of your application for membership.
Any cancellation requests made before the end of our renewal period (15 February) will result in a full refund for that calendar year.
If your cancellation request is made after 15 February but before 30 April, then we can offer you a 50% refund of your subscription.
If your cancellation request is made after 30 April then we will be unable to offer you a refund.
We will refund to your credit card/bank, within 30 working days of receiving a cancellation request, the sums actually received from you in relation to membership fees.
- The cancellation rights set out above do not apply to members living outside of the European Economic Area. Membership cancellation requests arising from these areas will be dealt with by the Society on a case-by-case basis.